I would recommend making the strawberry sauce first, so it has time to cool.
- In a medium sauce pan, add the strawberries and sugar. Cook until strawberries are soft and easy to mash with a fork. At point, do a taste test. Add more sugar if needed.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water. Add to strawberry sauce and cook 1-2 minutes or until thickened. The strawberry sauce will continue to thicken as it cools. Set aside to cool.
- Pre heat oven to 350 F. Line three 8 inch pans with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and a pinch of salt. Set aside.
- To the mixer bowl, add sugar, eggs and vegetable oil. Beat until combined. About 2-3 minutes.
- Add sour cream and vanilla extract. Beat until smooth. About 2-3 minutes.
- Add the flour mixture and mix on low speed until flour is incorporated.
- Evenly pour batter into prepared baking pans. Bake for 15-17 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool completely.
- Beat heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Transfer to a different bowl and set aside.
- Beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla extract until smooth and combined.
- Fold in heavy whipping cream.
Strawberry crunch crumble
- Melt butter and set aside.
- Place Golden Oreo’s and freeze dried strawberries in a food processor. Chop until mixture resembles medium sized crumbs. ( you may need to do this in two batches, depending on how big your food processor is).
- Mix together melted butter and crumbs. Use right away or refrigerate until ready to use.
- Place cake layer on cake stand.
- Pipe a ring of frosting around the cake layer. ( this ensures the strawberry frosting does not spill out of cake)
- Add the strawberry sauce.
- Frost the next cake layer. Then place that cake layer frosting side down on the strawberry sauce. (the frosting should be touching the strawberry sauce, and the top of the cake layer should not have anything on it)
- Repeat 2-4.
- Frost the top and sides of cake.
- Coat in strawberry crunch crumble.
- Refrigerate the cake to set for at least 2-3 hours.