These chocolate peanut butter filled patties are so delicious! These cookies are similar to Tagalongs but with a few ingredient swaps, they taste just as delicious. Plus homemade cookies are always better.
This one is for all the chocolate peanut butter lovers! These peanut butter patties consists of a cookie base, peanut butter and chocolate. The cookie base is crumbly and buttery. The peanut butter is mixed with maple syrup to sweeten it up just a bit. Then the cookie is dipped in melted chocolate. Sprinkle with some sea salt for the perfect sweet and salty combo.
- Powdered Sugar
- Egg yolk
- Butter: Butter needs to be at room temperature. I use unsalted butter.
- Peanut butter: I prefer using creamy peanut butter. But crunchy peanut butter will work as well.
- Maple syrup: Add this to sweeten up the peanut butter.
- Chocolate: Any chocolate will work
What is in the cookie base?
This cookie is similar to a shortbread cookie. The cookie has butter, flour and sugar. However, you will be adding an egg yolk to the cookie. The egg yolk makes the cookie tender, provides structure and adds more flavor to the cookie.
Making the chocolate coated peanut butter cookies
Making the cookie:
- Make the cookie: Cream butter and powdered sugar until combined. Add the egg yolk and vanilla extract. Beat until incorporated. On low speed add the flour and mix until almost incorporated. The dough will be crumbly. Transfer the dough to a floured surface and mix with your hands until the dough forms a ball.
- Shape the cookie dough: Roll the dough to ¼ – ⅓ inch thickness and cut into 2 inch circles. Transfer to a lined baking sheet and bake until golden brown. Cool completely.
- Making the peanut butter filling: Stir peanut butter and maple syrup. Add more or less syrup depending on how sweet you want the peanut butter to be. Spread a scant 1 teaspoon onto the bottom of each cookie leaving a small border around the cookie. (The peanut butter should be easy to work with. I spread the peanut butter onto the cookie with my fingers. You can also form disks out of the peanut butter and place it onto the cookie.)
- Dip in chocolate: Dip the cookie in melted chocolate. You dip the cookie in all the way or half way. I prefer dipping my cookies until all the peanut butter is covered. Refrigerate for 5 minutes so the chocolate sets.
How to melt chocolate:
Place the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl. Melt the chocolate in the microwave, stirring every 20 seconds. Stirring the chocolate is important. If you don’t stir the chocolate, the chocolate can burn. Once all the chocolate is almost melted, do not microwave again. Stir the chocolate until smooth.
What kind of peanut butter should I use?
I prefer using creamy unsalted peanut butter. Crunchy peanut butter should work for this recipe as well.
Measuring the flour and the powdered sugar
When measuring dry ingredients make sure you spoon the dry ingredients into the measuring cup then level with a butter knife. This ensures that the dry ingredients are measured correctly. If you don’t use this method the flour and powdered sugar can become packed which can alter the result of the cookie.
More cookie recipes you might like
- Triple Chocolate Chip Cookies
- White and Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Crumbly Honey Cookies Sandwich
- Shortbread sandwich cookies with Dulce de Leche
If you made this recipe, I would love to hear from you! Comment and rate below. I would also love to see your creation! Share your photo by tagging tasty_treat_pantry on Instagram.Print
Peanut Butter Chocolate Covered Cookies
Peanut butter and chocolate is one of the best combos! The cookie base is crumbly and buttery, filled peanut butter and dipped in chocolate.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: Approx. 24 cookies
- Category: Dessert
- 1 stick (4 oz) unsalted butter, room temp
- ⅓ cup + 2 tbsp. powdered sugar
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ⅔ cup peanut butter
- 2 – 3 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate
- Pre heat oven to 350 F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Cream butter and powdered sugar.
- Add vanilla extract and egg yolk and mix until incorporated.
- On low speed add flour and mix until flour is almost incorporated. The dough will be crumbly.
- Transfer to a floured surface. Mix the dough with your hands until the dough comes together into a ball.
- Roll the dough into ¼ – ⅓ inch thickness. Using a cookie cutter, cut the dough into 2 inch circles. Place the dough rounds onto prepared baking sheet about 1 inch apart.
- Bake cookies for 13-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely.
- Stir peanut butter and maple syrup until combined.
- Melt chocolate in the microwave. Stir every 30 seconds. Once the chocolate is almost melted, do not microwave again. Stir the chocolate until it is smooth.
- To assemble the cookie: Place a scant 1 teaspoon of peanut butter onto bottom of cookie. Spread the peanut butter with your fingers leaving a small border around the cookie. Dip the cookie into chocolate so that the peanut butter is covered.
Keywords: cookies, peanut butter, chocolate, peanut butter cookies, chocolate dipped cookies