Cherry and Almond Cake
This cherry and almond cake is one delicious treat! Moist almond cake layer with a cheesecake filling. Topped with sweet and tart cherries.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 8 slices 1x
- Category: dessert
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- pinch of salt
- 12 oz. cherries, pitted (fresh or frozen)
- 1/3 cup water
- 1.5 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3–4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 8 oz. cream cheese, room temp
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Cake bits (from cake)
- Pre heat oven to 350 F. Line 8 inch baking pan with parchment paper. Then set aside.
- In a bowl whisk all purpose flour, almond flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt. Sift until no more clumps of almond flour. Set aside.
- To a mixer bowl, add eggs, oil and sugar. Beat until just combined.
- Add the sour cream, vanilla extract, lemon juice and almond extract. Beat on low speed until incorporated.
- Add the flour mixture and beat on low speed until just combined.
- Pour into prepared baking pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool completely.
- To a sauce pan add water, sugar and cornstarch. Stir on medium heat until sugar dissolves.
- Add the cherries and lemon juice. Cook until bubbly and thickened. Add more sugar or lemon juice if needed. Set aside to cool completely.
- Beat heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Carefully scoop out the center of the cake layer. Leaving approximately a 1 inch border around the cake. Be careful not to go too deep into the cake. You still want the cake to have a bottom. Place the scooped out cake bits into a mixer bowl.
- Add cream cheese to the mixer. Beat the cake bits and cream cheese until combined. The cream cheese mixture will be slightly smooth with bits of cake.
- Add the whipped heavy cream and beat on low speed until combined.
- Add the cream cheese filling to the center of the cake. Evenly smooth out the filling.
- Add the cherry sauce on top. Add almonds if desired.
Keywords: cherry and almond cake, cherry almond cake, cherry cheesecake