This cherry and almond cake is one delicious treat! It has a moist almond cake layer with a cheesecake filling. Topped with sweet and tart cherries.
Why you need to make this cake
- Has a moist cake layer. The cake layer is moist and has a subtle almond flavor. Adding vanilla extract and lemon makes the cake layer have so much flavor.
- Has a cheesecake filling. That’s right! The inside of the cake is filled with delicious cheesecake filling. The cheesecake layer balances out the flavors and gives the cake it’s rich and creamy texture.
- It’s packed with cherries. Topping the cake with cherry sauce gives the cake all the cherry flavor. Every bite is packed with juicy cherries!
- It’s simple to make. This cherry almond cake may have lot’s of components but each part of the cake comes together so quickly.
For the almond cake
- Flour: All purpose flour.
- Almond flour: Use super fine almond flour. This ensures it incorporates into the batter without lumps. I would not recommend substituting almond flour.
- Oil: Vegetable oil, or any neutral oil. (grapeseed or canola)
- Sour cream: This will make the cake moist and tender.
- Baking powder: To ensure the cake rises.
- Vanilla extract
- Almond extract: Optional, but recommended. This will give the cake more almond flavor.
- Lemon juice
For the cheesecake filling
- Cream cheese: Make sure it’s at room temperature.
- Cake bits: You will use the cake bits from the cake layer.
- Heavy whipping cream
For the cherry sauce
- Cherries: Frozen or fresh cherries work. If using frozen, no need to thaw. You can also substitute homemade cherry sauce for cherry pie filling.
- Lemon juice
Making the almond cake
- Sift the dry ingredients: In a small bowl combine flour, almond flour, baking powder and salt. Sift until no lumps of almond flour.
- Combine the wet ingredients: Beat eggs, oil, and sugar until just combined. Then add the sour cream, vanilla extract, almond extract and lemon juice. Beat on low until combined.
- Combine both mixtures: Add the flour mixture to the mixer and beat on low speed until flour is incorporated.
- Bake: Pour into baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for for 30 minutes at 350 F. or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely.
Making the cherry sauce
To a saucepan add water, sugar and cornstarch. Heat on medium until sugar is dissolved. Then add the cherries and lemon juice. Cook until thickened. Adjust the sweetness and tart level to your liking. Set aside to cool completely.
Making the cheesecake filling
- Add heavy whipping cream to a mixer bowl. Beat until still peaks form then set aside.
- Gently scoop out the center of the cake, leaving approximately a 1 inch border around the cake. You can use a spoon or your hands. Be careful not to go too deep. You still want the cake to have bottom!
- Place the cake bits into a mixer bowl. Add cream cheese. Then beat until combined. The cheesecake mixture should be somewhat smooth. It may have a few lumps from the cake, which is ok.
- Add the whipped heavy cream. Beat on low speed until combined.
Assembling the cherry and almond cake
- Add the cheesecake filling to the inside of the cake. Spread the filling evenly inside the cake.
- Add the cherry sauce. Sprinkle with almonds.
Other recipes you may like
If you made this recipe, I would love to hear from you! Comment and rate below. Your comments will help me, as well as other readers. I would also love to see your creation! Share your photo by tagging tasty_treat_pantry on Instagram and Pinterest.Print
Cherry and Almond Cake
This cherry and almond cake is one delicious treat! Moist almond cake layer with a cheesecake filling. Topped with sweet and tart cherries.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 8 slices 1x
- Category: dessert
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup almond flour
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 large eggs
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- pinch of salt
- 12 oz. cherries, pitted (fresh or frozen)
- ⅓ cup water
- 1.5 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3–4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 8 oz. cream cheese, room temp
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- Cake bits (from cake)
- Pre heat oven to 350 F. Line 8 inch baking pan with parchment paper. Then set aside.
- In a bowl whisk all purpose flour, almond flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt. Sift until no more clumps of almond flour. Set aside.
- To a mixer bowl, add eggs, oil and sugar. Beat until just combined.
- Add the sour cream, vanilla extract, lemon juice and almond extract. Beat on low speed until incorporated.
- Add the flour mixture and beat on low speed until just combined.
- Pour into prepared baking pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool completely.
- To a sauce pan add water, sugar and cornstarch. Stir on medium heat until sugar dissolves.
- Add the cherries and lemon juice. Cook until bubbly and thickened. Add more sugar or lemon juice if needed. Set aside to cool completely.
- Beat heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Carefully scoop out the center of the cake layer. Leaving approximately a 1 inch border around the cake. Be careful not to go too deep into the cake. You still want the cake to have a bottom. Place the scooped out cake bits into a mixer bowl.
- Add cream cheese to the mixer. Beat the cake bits and cream cheese until combined. The cream cheese mixture will be slightly smooth with bits of cake.
- Add the whipped heavy cream and beat on low speed until combined.
- Add the cream cheese filling to the center of the cake. Evenly smooth out the filling.
- Add the cherry sauce on top. Add almonds if desired.
Keywords: cherry and almond cake, cherry almond cake, cherry cheesecake
Confused — in the cake, is it baking powder or baking soda? Says one thing in ingredients, another in directions….thanks.
Sorry about that! It would be baking powder. I have updated the recipe. Thank you!